[Suggestion] group and declare as constants all supported values of Parameters

The BETA tester's forum for ZeosLib 7.2 Report problems. Ask for help, post proposals for the new version and Zeoslib 7.2 features here. This is a forum that will be edited once the 7.2.x version goes into RC/stable!!

My personal intention for 7.2 is to speed up the internals as optimal a possible for all IDE's. Hope you can help?! Have fun with testing 7.2
Fr0sT
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

[Suggestion] group and declare as constants all supported values of Parameters

Postby Fr0sT » 13.09.2017, 12:36

Currently all names of Parameters of connections, datasets, transactions are used as literals. This not only is prone to mistakes but also significantly complexes the usage. One can use Zeos for years not knowing which parameters are available. My suggestion is to create separate unit where all the parameter names will be declared as named constants. Thus everyone could inspect the unit and learn the possibilities.
I'm ready to implement this task but I want to be sure it will be accepted.

marsupilami
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Re: [Suggestion] group and declare as constants all supported values of Parameters

Postby marsupilami » 14.09.2017, 17:55

Hello Fr0st,

I do like that Idea to a degree. But imho the even better way would be to document the available parameters in a kind of manual. I started a new approach to a manual. The current verion can be downloaded in the files section. Also I started documenting parameters in the Wiki. See https://sourceforge.net/p/zeoslib/wiki/ ... arameters/

What do you think?

If you still want to go the route with a separate unit then we surely can do that. In that case I would suggest one unit per driver. But we would have to see if there are parameters that affect the component layer and how we document them. I could use that as a start for the manual later on anyway.

With best regards,

Jan

Fr0sT
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re: [Suggestion] group and declare as constants all supported values of Parameters

Postby Fr0sT » 15.09.2017, 08:54

Hello Jan,
I'm glad you support my idea.
Concerning division of parameters by driver: there are plenty of parameters that are common to all drivers. So we'll need one unit for common constants anyway. Driver-specific parameters could be placed in ZPlain*Constants units. In any case parameters could be defined for connections, datasets and transactions - if that's what you meant by component layer?

Fr0sT
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby Fr0sT » 18.09.2017, 13:00

So what decision we'll make? I suggest this:
- One new unit ZCommonConstants for values that are used by all drivers (and maybe for some other things).
- Driver-specific values will be added to ZPlain*Constants units
- I suggest to call these constants ConnProps_*, TransProps_*, DSProps_*, f.i. ConnProps_CodePage, ConnProps_ControlsCP

marsupilami
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Postby marsupilami » 20.09.2017, 10:33

Hello Fr0st,

you really seem to eat up my ressources with all your changes. ;) I only have a maximum of one hour per day that I can spend on Zeos. :(

Getting back to this topic: Let me talk with the guy who kept Zeos alife for the past years. I value his opinion. I assume, I can call him today or tomorrow.

By the way: What do you think about becoming a Zeos developer and getting access access to the SVN? Do you use the Zeos test suite?

With best regards,

Jan

Fr0sT
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby Fr0sT » 20.09.2017, 14:56

Hello Jan,
I guess the suggestions/patches are better than just requests anyway ;)

Yep, talk with the guy of course.

Well, your offer is very flattering for me! I have plenty of things I'd wish to improve in Zeos. But I still can't say I fully realized the structure so for somewhat valuable changes I'd need advice anyway. And I'm still not familiar with SVN, it just frightens me compared to Git :). But I could start with simple commits to warm up.
I've tried to build and run test suite some time ago and it succeeded except some string conversion tests which I reported to tracker but I haven't examined it thoroughly.

Return to “ZeosLib 7.2 Betatest Forum”